Thursday, September 27, 2012

Boboli Gardens

Ciao! 
Part 3 of the lost blog posts was created in the Boboli Gardens behind the Palazzo Pitti. What began as a pleasant stroll/study session in the park quickly turned into a photo shoot. 

A small history of the Boboli Garden - This really important Medici guy, Cosimo, was the undisputed ruler of Florence. He lived in the state house (like the state capitol building) to show how much he was in charge. Cosimo loved his wife, Eleanora, so much that when she told him she wanted to move out of the city center, he bought her a palace. A really nice palace, the Pitti Palace. (Cool fact - he also built a secret walkway above Florence from his new palace to the state house so he wouldn't be assassinated.)

Cosimo then commissions the creation of the Boboli Gardens (Giardino di Boboli) for Eleanora. The garden was unconventional for its time, openness, irrigation… etc. Basically the place is huge. 11 acres huge. Eleven acres of stairs, hills, lovely paths, statues and water features. 

Did I mention how huge this garden/park is? 11 acres. 


A view of the Pitti Palace from the garden. 


Now imagine the Palace is directly behind you - looking up at the Amphitheater and the entrance to the gardens. This place is a maze - we could have entered the gardens to the right of this picture, to the left of this picture, up the hill a little bit and to the right/left, up a little bit more to the right/left…

Another view of the Pitti Palace from the amphitheater. (also titled, We Begin our Ascent)

At the top of the first hill we found a pond (water feature?) that featured Neptune. This type of fountain was unusual for its time because it highlighted nature. There is moss and natural rocks on the fountain where the water falls down to the pond. There are also REALLY big fish in the pond. Next time we're going to remember to bring bread like some of the families with small children!

We found a head! We're not quite sure who it belongs to but… let me know if you're missing a head. 



Time for a pause - A warning about the pictures ahead. 
SO MANY PICTURES OF ME. 
If you get bored staring at my face for long periods of time, turn back now. 

For all others, continue!








You wouldn't believe how hard it was to pose for this picture. V-Go sit on that bench K-This bench? V-Yes, that bench -Ok now turn toward me -Put your legs on the bench -Now bend your right leg K(trying not to fall over)-like this? V-no, bend, not cross K(feet off the bench)-like this? V-no, I didn't say to move your legs, I said bend K(crosses legs again)-like this?…. and this continues for some time. 

I would like to direct you to this youtube.com video which Val sent to me later in the day. She said it reminded her of me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdylQeg5B9I

By the millionth and a half picture, I mastered the art of posing. Legs crossed, hair flipped, large smile. Unfortunately I was only able to master one pose. 

Look at that pose - its like a work of art!


On to my graduation pictures (just kidding mom!). There was a really cool door (you can't really see the coolness of the door, the camera is focused on me) that looked like the stones around it were melted. 

Look at this- I posed all by myself!


Val knows how to pose for pictures… and I know how to take them!


Now - a special gem for everyone who scrolled down to the end. If you've read my previous blog posts you'll know that I turn in to a five-year-old really quickly when I get bored with pictures. 
Enjoy. 





Pictures, pictures… wait, what is that?
I present… KARINA! I can't stop laughing every time I see this picture and I hope you can't either. 


Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment