Venezia… One of the prettiest cities in Italy.
This is me seriously geeing out that I'm in Venice. My mom loves this place and raised my expectations for this city… and it was as amazing as I thought it would be.
Canals!
Reppin' our organizations all the way in Italy.
Florian is considered the oldest continuously operated coffee house in the world. Playwrights, artists and even Casanova frequented the Caffe Florian. Sadly, we did not stop for coffee once we saw the prices, but we snapped some photos for free!
It was such a nice photo… until someone photo bombed me!
Riding the lion :)
We were a little bit frozen but were enjoying the rain-free weather.
Some people I found at the train station… Not quite sure where they came from :)
Val, Oscar, and Erika
This seems really silly to say about Venice, but I was always surprised to walk around a corner and find another canal after canal. My camera is filled with photos of canals, I couldn't stop taking pictures. I think I would be so peaceful living in a city like Venice, sitting in my window staring out over the water :)
Even the trash is taken away by boats in the canals! This was a trash-boat that we passed on our way.
Mmmmm… fish market.
Here fishy fishy fishy...
It's moving!!!
Fishy faces
The Rialto Bridge.
Walking down the narrow streets, follow the spray-painted and handwritten signs for Piazza San Marco and we come across the covered street. A little sketchy, but we made it out the other end.
Gondolier!
Saint Mark's Basilica is (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful churches in Italy. It is a combination of so many styles of architecture (Venice was once the main hub of commerce in the mediterranean) and features many different colors.
St Mark's Campanile - Where the high tide has been measured since it's completion. Only two days after we left, Venice experienced its 6th highest flooding in its known history, at heights of 5 feet above normal sea level.
A graduation ceremony was set up in St Mark's Square and on our way back to the train station we were surrounded by drunk college graduates and their friends singing "dottore, dottore" and other slightly crude graduation songs.
Venice residents have to be prepared for flooding but high floods and high cost of living has forced some residents to abandon Venice. About 1,000 inhabitants leave each year.
I found my store!!!
The Constitution bridge… so beautiful!
It is a really elegant bridge, from any angle you look at it.
In short - Venice was everything I hoped it would be. I would like to return in the future and spend more time exploring the narrow streets and all of the canals.
Ciao!


No comments:
Post a Comment